Healthy Vegan Sandwich Recipe
Summer is around the corner and the weather is getting warmer here in California. Which calls for picnics at the beach! I am lucky enough to live super close to one, literally like 2 minutes away. It’s very convenient, let me tell you. No need to check on the weather app if it’s going to be sunny like most of my friends who live over the hill. The best part of it all is that I know all the secret beaches that most tourists don’t know about. Which means I get to relax and enjoy the weather, and the delicious food of course. It’s only right to share with you guys an easy vegan recipe that you can take to a picnic trip. This recipe was inspired by the traditional salsa de nopales. To be honest we just call it nopales or like some people like to call it, cactus salad. It’s a very easy and refreshing recipe. So let’s get started; you will need…
Makes one serving
2 tbs of onion
1/2 of an avocado
1/2 a lime
4 cherry tomatoes
1 Pita flatbread
1. Before you being, make sure to get rid of any thorns left on the cactus. You can buy nopales in a jar, I use the brand Doña Maria but any brand works. Now begin cutting the cactus leafs into small squares. In a small pot, add water and let it boil. Slowly add the cactus squares (skip this step if you purchased the pre-made jar). Leave until the nopales become tender, rinse under cold water. In a bowl add nopales and chopped onions, put that aside
2. To make the avocado spread you want to add 1/2 of a lime juice. Slowly scrape the avocado and mix with the lime juice until it becomes a chunky consistency.
3. After you’re done with that, cut the cherry tomatoes into circles to add on top of the nopales.
4. Grab your pita flatbread and add the avocado spread on half of the bread. After, add the nopales and the cherry tomatoes on top of the avocado spread.
5. I added pepper and sprinkled some salt on top, add as much as you need. All you need to do is fold your pita bread to make a sandwich.